Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Top Ten Books Read in 2017




Here are my favorite books of the year, quoting myself from my reviews. I read a lot I loved toward the end, but there's several from the very beginning of last year too. Interesting. The top two I would say sort of tied for my favorite. Maybe even the top three. I loved these books.



1. Deacon Locke Went to Prom by Brian Katcher: It's such an awesome friendship book. And relationship book, with Deacon and his grandma at the heart of it. Lots of funny moments. And sad moments. And romance moments. It has it all. I loved it.


2. Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia: So yeah. Read this book. Especially if you've ever been made to feel weird because you are part of a fandom that people think is stupid or silly. My guess is you will relate to the feelings in this book too, no matter how old you are.


3. Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer: Why do I love this so much? I don't know. But, these characters were awesome. So real and so lovely. The writing was just my style, whatever that means. So engaging. Deep without trying too hard.


4. Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff: It's so very complicated and much much more intense than I can articulate. But let me just say, whew, these are violent books. Let that be a warning to those with queasy and/or weak stomachs. Violent I'm telling you! So once again, I was sucked in and loved this story. I'm anxious to read more and see how it all ends, because of course, there is so much  more of this story to tell!

5. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch: I thought it was a great page turning and twisty story. And it made you really think about all the different decisions you make in life and how things would be if you chose other things. And how we should love and appreciate the life we're in at the moment. Because what if you woke up one and it was all gone. 

6. What Alice Forgot by Lian Moriarty: I found the premise really fascinating because the first thing it does is make you think about your own life and would you recognize yourself ten years from now. Or would your younger self recognize the you you are today? Have you made good changes or bad ones? Have you done anything with your life? Have you alienated all the people around you? Are the things that were important ten years ago still important? It's an interesting thing to think about!

7. The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough: A fascinating story about Love and Death who have a competition to see who can win the souls of these two characters. Death's player is the girl, and Love's player is the boy. The idea is if they fall in love, then Love wins. And if they don't then Death wins.

8. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen: Well, it's kind of a simple story, but then we start getting all the back stories and then you realize things aren't quite as simple as it seems. There's this strange sort of feeling going all, with all of the characters, and I started wondering, what's going to drop. SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN! I loved that feeling.

9. Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner: I ended up really enjoying it after all and loving yet another main boy character. I'm a sucker for the guy points of views these days! And it ended up hopeful and sweet and happy, despite the downer of a subject.

10. Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum: Guys. I love this kind of stuff. I have no idea why. But it's just... fun! This one was a little gritty in parts, and sad in parts. But overall, an uplifting... I got this! sort of attitude. I really enjoyed it.


Here's to 2018 and new books to discover and love!! I look forward to it!

8 comments:

  1. I need to read a bunch of these but really want to try Letter to the Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Alice Forgot was awesome! I loved it, and I've read 3 Liane Moriarty books now. I need to read Letter to the Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Dark Matter, What Alice Forgot, and Sugar Queen are on your list! What Alice Forgot and Sugar Queen made my list too. :D I need to look at some of the other ones on your list. I already put the Deacon Locke on my TBR and I'm going to put the Eliza and Her Monsters one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for the sequel to Gemina in March!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these books sound really interesting especially Eliza and Her Monsters, The Game of Love and Death and The Sugar Queen so I'll keep my eye out for these books next time I go to a book store. I'm also wondering if you're going to write a top ten Kdramas you watched in 2017 because I'd be interested in reading that list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't planned on it but I'd love too. Thanks so much for enjoying my kdrama thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I loved DARK MATTER and WHAT ALICE FORGOT as well. I bought FRANCESCA for myself for Christmas, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. It's definitely on my priority reads list for 2018.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails